Monday, May 20, 2013

Vague Entries

Just a general point about my work so far: I have been keeping them very vague and conceptual (and unpolished) for a few reasons explained below.

  1. It's impossible to know whether many of these lesson ideas would actually work with a class until I have a class in front of me and get to know the students    Culturally Relevant Pedagogy is critical for student engagement so I wouldn't force any of these lesson ideas on a class unless I thought it would be successful for that group. Keeping it vague gives me the flexibility to change the lesson based on the students in the class and the actual course it would happen in.
  2. One of the reasons I'm doing this blog is to better understand how 21st century learning would potentially look in a high-school math/science class.  As well as helping me understand the neXt Lesson Framework for my internship.  To me, the hardest part of doing this is generating some really good ideas to get started, which is the purpose of this blog. 
  3. Time! To get down all the details of a lesson for each one would take forever. During my internship I don't have that kind if time! (what I'm doing right now takes enough time as it is)
One more point about the levels I have highlighted for each competency at the end of each entry: They reflect the potential of each lesson idea. Where they will actually fall is highly dependent on exactly how the activities are presented to students as well as grade level and course. For example, I have keft Self-Regulation out of many entries but it could end up being a huge part of the activity depending on how the success criteria and project timeline is established. 

1 comment:

  1. You also have a gf that demands a lot of your time...

    ReplyDelete