Thursday, May 2, 2013

Backward Design

To clarify...

At OISE, every one of my instructors stressed the importance of Backward Design, where you start with what you want the students to do/know (ie. the overall curriculum expectations), decide what you want to evaluate (ie. final test/culminating task) and lastly design the lessons for that unit to support those expectations.  

With this blog, it seems like I am doing the exact opposite: starting with ideas I think will engage the students and trying (maybe a bit too hard) to fit them into the curriculum.  I agree that backward design is how a teacher should approach unit/course because it helps keep the big picture question 'why teach?' in focus.  However, backward design is a method that is extremely hard to do unless you have a pool of solid resources to pull from.  That is what I am doing here:  generating some ideas that are starting points for units/courses I think can engage students and support 21st Century Fluencies that I could use when eventually some day I have an actual class to teach (at least thats how I rationalize it to myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment